|Programme Name:||New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic)|
|Specialised Area:||English language (academic listening, speaking, reading and writing)|
|Programme Level:||NZQF Level 4 (NZQA qualification number 1883)|
|NZQA accreditation listing||https://www.nzqa.govt.nz/providers/course-accreditations.do?providerId=757549001&delSiteInd=0|
|Programme Credits:||60 credits|
|Number of papers:||2 papers (30 credits for each paper)|
|Programme Length:||4-5 months|
|Tuition fee (International):||$5,400|
|Tuition fee (Domestic):||Please contact us|
NZCEL Programme Aim
The NZCEL programme equips learners of English as an additional language with the language skills required to communicate with independence and fluency in academic contexts within New Zealand and other English-speaking territories.
Graduates will possess the general English language skills required to:
– contextualise and understand moderately complex academic texts;
– analyse and conceptualise moderately complex academic texts;
– participate clearly and effectively in academic discussions;
– write detailed and well-articulated academic work.
Graduates will reach a level comparable to the IELTS 6.0 or Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) mid B2.
Continue on to study the New Zealand Diploma in Business (NZDB, Level 5).
Who Should Enrol?
- International students who want to obtain a New Zealand qualification in Academic English;
- Students want to build a solid foundation for future academic excellence;
- Students who are interested in meeting the entry criteria for our NZDB Level 5 programme, or programmes of study offered elsewhere.
Applicants must possess:
- IELTS 5.0 (minimum of 5.0 in all bands) or equivalent (NZQA reference: http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/about-us/our-role/legislation/nzqa-rules/nzqf-related- rules/the-table/);
- a passed NZQA-approved internal English Entry Test, either gained at EMS or elsewhere (http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/providers-partners/qa-system-for-teos/english-international- learners/approval-of-english-assessments/);
- New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Applied) Level 3;
- Equivalent qualification/work experience and evidence of English skills (approved by EMS’ Academic and Quality Manager).
NZCEL Programme Structure
The New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 4) programme is a 60-credit programme, consisting of two compulsory 30-credit courses:
The two courses are compulsory and must be completed in order to gain the qualification:
1. NZCEL 401 Academic Listening and Speaking (30 credits)
2. NZCEL 402 Academic Reading and Writing (30 credits)
Intake Schedule for the 2018 academic year
We offer three intakes per year. Our “intake clock” defines clearly the delivery activities we take in each week. It ensures that you are in control of your learning progression or any catch-up required. The remaining start date for the 2018 academic year is:
- 22 October
Immigration New Zealand Work Rights
International students are required to hold a valid Immigration New Zealand Student visa.